Before conducting any retail business, engaging in any business activity or advertising for short term rentals within the Town of Avon, a business license is required as outlined in Avon's Municipal Code Chapter 5.04.
Business licenses are issued by the Finance Department with the approval of the Community Development Department. Registration of the Business and payment of the Business License Fee is required prior to the license being issued.
- The business license shall be renewed annually. A late filing fee of $25.00 will be imposed if the license is not renewed within 30 days of the expiration.
- The business's Federal Employers Identification Number is required for processing the registration.
- Businesses in the Town of Avon may be required to obtain a sales tax license.
- Please contact the Colorado Secretary of State if you have further questions related to business licensing in Colorado.
- If you would like to make a change to or cancel your business license complete the Change/Close form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, mail it to P.O. Box 975 Avon, CO 81620 or deliver it in person to 100 Mikaela Way in Avon.
Types of Licenses
In-Town Business - operated from a fixed location, include but are not limited to: Retail stores, lodges, hotels, motels, time-share operators, boarding houses, condo-hotel operators and bed and breakfast establishments. This does not include in-home occupations.
In-Home Business Occupation - operated from a residential structure in a residential district within the Town.
Accommodation Short-Term Rental - Every person who advertises for rent an accommodation unit(s) or room(s) used for accommodation for a total continuous duration of less than thirty (30) days. The Avon Business License number shall be displayed in the advertisement, see Avon's Municipal Code Section 5.04.050.
Vendor - any person delivering goods, performing services (excluding wholesale delivery) or otherwise engaged in business within the Town without a permanent location within the Town. This includes:
- Peddlers and Solicitors as allowed under Avon's Municipal Code Section 5.04.060.
- Contractors licensed under Avon's Municipal Code Section 15.08.050 and conducting work without a permanent physical business within Avon.
- Vendors as allowed under Avon's Municipal Code Section 5.04.080.
- Public Artists as allowed under Avon's Municipal Code Section 5.04.070.
- Special Event Vendors participating in Town-sponsored or Town-supported events are required to hold the applicable business license as either an In-Town Business or Vendor.
Questions may be directed to (970) 748-4046 or by email.